Monday, November 28, 2005

To Target, or not to Target?



It's my fault. I prayed that God would keep me humble. Don't EVER pray for that! Don't pray for patience, either, take my word for it.


(just kidding)

I was hot under the collar at Target because they banned the bell ringers from the Salvation Army from their stores. I wrote an e-mail to the CEO, I sent e-mails to everyone I knew, I was on a crusade! Then I found out today that although it's true they banned the bell ringers, the Target corporation gives millions to the Salvation Army and partners with them for hurricane relief and giving gifts to needy families. Boy, do I feel stupid! I should have checked with Target when I heard the rumors, instead of going by second-hand sources. I learned this lesson before, but it's been a while and I've slept since then. No excuse, I know. Hopefully this time it will stick and I'll remember next time I'm faced with some news that disturbs me so. Go straight to the source to verify information - straight to the SOURCE.

Interestingly, the best wisdom was given to me by two friends who are quite a bit younger than I, which added to the humility lesson. Thank goodness they were willing to tell me their thoughts and insights. I'm always open to hear - I don't want to be crusading for the wrong cause or for no cause. If I do, someone please stop me.

So, my girls and I rejoiced that we don't have to boycott Target. ~sheepish smile~ There were sighs of relief and cheers when I announced that to them tonight.

I do pray God will show me when and where I can speak up for Him. I want to put action to my beliefs and my words of commitment to Jesus Christ. Show me, Lord, and I'll do what you want me to do.

No comments: