Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Dr. Dorr

I will always remember my first visit to Dr. Dorr's office. As I walked up to the door I looked at the sign on it that said "Hematology Oncology Consultants". I never thought I'd need an oncologist, a cancer doctor. The waiting room was a little dim. There were no windows, aside from the little window that slides open so the receptionist can greet you. The TV was on and a soap opera was in progress. I walked by an end table hoping to find something to read, but the table was littered with medical journals and brochures for head coverings (for those who lose their hair during chemotherapy). It was a dreary first impression. I sat down and just leaned my head back, closing my eyes and waiting. Once they called me in and took my vital signs, they led me to the exam room to wait for the doctor. At least that room had a window!

The door opened and in walked a young woman with glasses, long curly hair, and a warm smile. She introduced herself to me, looked at my chart and proclaimed, "You're going to be fine!" She explained about my cancer and how it comes about, how it spreads, and about the various treatments. She said that because it was so small we probably caught it in the early stages and from the way she shared, I felt I had nothing to fear. Her cheerful confidence was like a gust of wind underneath my wilting hope. She never stopped smiling as we talked and answered all the questions that came spilling out of me. I left her office and practically flew to my car feeling renewed and ready to face this ordeal... and beat it.
...
Incidentally, I wrote them a letter about my waiting room experience suggesting they might cheer it up a bit for their patients. The next time I visited, there was an brightly lit aquarium, another lamp, and lots of magazines!

No comments: